The Mesa County Veterans Affairs Program is administered by the Veterans Service Officer who provides assistance to all residents of the State of Colorado who served honorably in the United States armed forces, the surviving spouses and dependents, administrators, executors, guardians, conservators, or heirs of any such veterans or any other persons who may have proper claims. Filing of claims on behalf of such persons for insurance, pensions, compensation for disability, hospitalization, vocational training, education, loans, readjustment allowances, or any other benefits which such person may be or may become entitled to receive under the laws of the United States, State of Colorado or any other state by reason of such service to include:
- Assisting claimants in the proper completion of applications for veterans benefits, assisting in the development and securing of evidence and documents for the adjudication of claims and providing all other appropriate assistance or referral as requested by the Colorado Division of Veterans Affairs (CDVA).
- Furnishing accurate information regarding receipts of benefits or potential eligibility requests from the county departments.
- Assisting applicants or recipients of state public assistance benefits in applying for federal veterans benefits.
- Serving as an advocate for the client in attempting to maximize the amount of federal veterans benefits they receive.
- Cooperating with and assisting Veterans' Organizations, veterans' advisory groups, and other organizations which provide assistance to veterans and their families
- Undertake programs and engage in activities to reduce state public assistance expenditures as requested by CDVA.
- Engage in outreach activities within Mesa County and the State of Colorado. These activities include public and media announcements, attendance at meetings of veterans organizations, and other community groups, networking with other human service providers within the county and other outreach activities requested by the CDVA.
The Veterans' Services Office is located at and mail should be sent to:
- Mesa County Workforce Center
- 2897 North Avenue
- Grand Junction, CO 81501