Aid to Needy and Disabled/Blind

Please click on the titles to view additional information

    • This program provides cash payment each month

    • Low income adults aged 18-59 years with total work disabilities may be eligible for STATE AND

    • If the primary diagnosis is alcoholism or controlled substance addiction, the maximum period of eligibility is 12 cumulative months

    • STATE AND may also provide temporary financial assistance while eligibility for federal Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is pending

    • All STATE AND applicants must also apply for Supplemental Security Income. However, the STATE AND applicant does not need to be found eligible for SSI in order to receive STATE AND benefits

    • Note: If approved for SSI, the STATE AND individual will have to repay some STATE AND representing duplicate payments from the first SSI check

    • The new STATE AND Medically Correctable Pilot Program will provide medical treatment to some STATE AND recipients not eligible for Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) coverage to correct a disability so the person can return to employment. This medical coverage is provided only in the Medically Correctable Program
    • Food Stamp benefits

    • Financial assistance to reduce winter heating Costs (LEAP)

    • Discount on monthly telephone bill

    • No Medical Coverage is Provided


  1. Be aged 18-59 years

  2. Have been or expect to be totally disabled for 6 months or more.

  3. Have Gross Income below the current monthly benefit  (Income is anything which can be used to purchase food, clothing, or shelter. Some examples include wages, social security, pensions, child support, and unemployment benefits.) Your spouse's income may affect your eligibility.

  4. Have resources below $2,000 For an individual , $3,000 for a couple. (Resources are any money that remains unspent from a prior month. Some examples include cash, checking and saving accounts, stocks, bonds, some insurance policies and secondary property.)

  5. Cooperate with alcohol or controlled Substance programs and remain substance- free if your disability's primary diagnosis is drug or alcohol addiction.

    • Be a U.S. Citizen or Eligible Alien

    • Be a resident of Colorado, and 

  6. You must fill out a written application at the County Department of Human Services where you reside. A representative will help you complete the application and tell you of any additional documents that are needed. Do not wait to Apply! Set an appointment today. Bring as many documents as possible. If you do not have all of your paperwork in order, you can gather it after the first interview.

Such as:

    • Birth certificate or

    • Baptismal certificate


Such as:

    • Self-written statement testifying you are a resident of Colorado or

    • Any photo I.D. with your address or

    • A copy of your telephone bill

All of these

    • Bank statements

    • Registration papers for motor vehicles

    • Deed and mortgages for real property

    • Life insurance policies

    • Burial funds or policies

Such as:

    • Birth certificate or

    • Citizenship records or

    • Social Security card


All of These

    • Payroll stubs

    • Verification of Social Security and SSI

    • Proof of other income or checks you receive


Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733