Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP provides supplemental assistance to help low-income individuals and families purchase food.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP benefits are based on household composition and income and resources of all household members. Benefits are issued through an Electronic Benefit Transfer card, similar to a debit card.

Low-income people may apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP at the Mesa County Department of Human Services Applications are accepted in person, by mail, by fax, or online through Colorado PEAK. Applicants will be required to complete application forms and interview, and may be required to provide of proof of household circumstances.

Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP may be used to purchase food for human consumption or seeds and plants to grow food for household use. Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP may not be used to purchase any non-food item or hot foods that are ready-to-eat or any food marketed to be heated in the store.

Additional Information:

  • United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) - Food & Nutrition Service (FNS)
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP)  helps low-income people and families buy the food they need for good health. You apply for benefits by completing a State application form. Benefits are provided on an electronic card that is used like an ATM card and accepted at most grocery stores.
  • How do I apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program/SNAP? 
    • Access the Colorado PEAK website to apply online
    • To request an application to be mailed to you call (970) 241-8480
    • Download and print a paper application here:
    • Call our SNAP outreach partner, Hunger Free Colorado, at (855) 855-4626. They can help you complete an application over the phone.

Nondiscrimination Statement


Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733