Long Term Care

Colorado's Long-Term Care (LTC) program provides medical assistance to aged, blind or disabled persons who need the level of care which is delivered in a nursing home.

People eligible for Long-Term Care may choose:

  • Nursing Home Care
  • Long-Term Hospital Care
  • Home and Community Based Service (HCBS) or
  • Alternative Care Facilities AND
  • Inpatient and Outpatient Services
  • Home Health Care Services
  • Laboratory and X-ray Services
  • Physician Services
  • Pharmacy Services
  • Medical Transportation
  • Dental Care (limited to surgical procedures)
  • Medical supplies and durable medical equipment

Long-Term Care services are very expensive. LTC clients must use most of their income to pay for the cost of Long-Term Care. Medicaid pays the difference between the client's payments and the provider's charges.

Except for small allowances set aside for personal needs, dependent care, and certain uncovered medical assets, the Long-Term Care client must give all of his/her monthly income towards medical costs. The remaining medical expenses may be paid by Medicaid.

Please click on the titles to view additional information

To qualify for LTC benefits you must:

    1. Pass screening tests to determine the need for long-term care services. Prior approval is required for services to be paid by medicad.

    2. If under 65 years of age, have been or expect to be totally disabled for 12 months or more.

    3. Live in a medical care institution for at least 30 days or be at risk for nursing home placement.

    4. Have gross income below 300% of the SSI level per month. A higher income limit is available to those who establish a specific type of "income trust." (the maximum gross income figure is adjusted annually. Contact the Mesa county Department of Human Services for the latest figure.)

    5. Have resources below $2,000 for individuals. 

(Resources are money that remains unspent from a prior month. Some examples include cash, checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds, some insurance policies and property you ownother than your home.)

  • You must fill out a written application. Someone will help you complete the application and tell you of any more records that are needed.

  • Do Not Wait To Apply! Set an appointment today. Bring as many records shown below as possible. If you do not have all your paperwork in order, you can gather it after the first interview.

    • Proof of Age (such as)
    • Birth certificate or
    • Baptismal certificate

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as)
    • Birth certificate
    • Citizenship records or
    • Social Security card

  • Proof of Colorado Residency (such as)
    • Self-written statement testifying you are a resident of Colorado or
    • Any photo I.D. with your address or
    • A copy of your telephone bill

  • Proof of Your Income and Your Spouse's Income (Bring all of these)
    • Two Payroll Stubs
    • Verification of Social Security or SSI
    • Proof of other income or checks you receive

  • Proof of Resources (Bring all of these)
    • Bank Statements
    • Registration Papers for Motor Vehicles
    • Deed and Mortgages for Real Property
    • Life Insurance Policies
    • Burial Funds or Polices

The home, a car, personal belongings, house-hold goods, some burial policies, and some life insurance policies are not counted  as part of your resources. However, a Medicaid lien may be filed on property to be collected after death.

  • Be a U.S. Citizen or be otherwise eligible under requirements for aliens.

  • Be a resident of Colorado.

Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733