Low Income Child Care Assistance

What is Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP)?

The Colorado Child Care Assistance Program (CCCAP) provides financial assistance for low-income families who are working, searching for employment or are in an educational activity (junior high school, high school, or GED, or in some instances post secondary, vocational or technical training) and need child care services to support their efforts toward self-sufficiency. The child care assistance program is administered through the Mesa County Departments of Human Services.

How do I choose a child care provider?

Parents select a child care provider for their children. They can choose a licensed child care center or family care home or a friend, neighbor or relative. They will have to decide the type of care that will be best for their children and meets the family's needs. Regardless of the child care provider selected, parents should look for signs that their child will be safe, developmentally stimulated and encouraged to grow and learn.

Provider information can be found at Western Colorado 2-1-1 website.

What are Parental Fees?

Parents are required to pay a portion of their child care costs, called the parental fee. This amount is set based on family income and the number of people in the household. The fee is paid directly to the child care provider each month.

How do I apply?

To apply for child care assistance, parents should contact the Mesa County Department of Human Services. Parents must complete an application and provide information about their income and work or school program. When applying for low-income child care assistance, the county child care worker may contact employers by phone to verify work hours and wages. Applicants have 30 days to supply written verification of earnings or their education program.

Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733