Establishing a Child Support Order

You do not have to be divorced or even married to establish a child support order. Once paternity is established, a child support order may be entered pursuant to the juvenile code §19-6-101. All child support orders entered in Colorado are entered pursuant to the Child Support Guidelines.

Please click on the titles to view additional information

Establishment Information

Child support orders entered in the State of Colorado are entered pursuant to the Child support Guidelines C.R.S. §14-10-115. You may access the Child Support Guidelines at the Colorado Department of Human Services - Child Support website.

C.R.S. §14-10-115

Establishing Health Insurance Coverage

The Colorado courts and Child Support Enforcement progra also require that health insurance coverage be provided for children when setting up the child support order.

C.R.S. §14-5-125, §14-10-115, §14-10-115(2)(b), §14-10-115(13.5), §14-14-112

Paternity means fatherhood. If the parents are married, the husband is considered to be the father of children during the marriage. If parents are not married, it is important that paternity be legally established. Otherwise, the baby has no legal father. Even if you may be living together, and the father's name appears on the hospital copy of the child's birth certificate, this does not mean the child's paternity has been legally established.

Paternity can be legally established by the court.

    • a Judge or other official may enter an Order at Court which establishes paternity, or
    • the Child Support Division office may establish paternity without having to go to Court, or
    • a statement of paternity may also be signed, either at the office when the child is born, orour office can assist you in completing this form and mailing to vital statistics.

C.R.S. §19-4-101


Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733