Old Age Pension

Since 1937, the Colorado Constitution has insured Colorado residents a basic retirement income and health coverage. The Old Age Pension (OAP) program provides financial assistance and health care benefits for low-income adults age 60 or older.

Please click on the titles to view additional information

  • You must complete a written application. A representative will help you complete the application and tell you of any additional documents that are needed.

  • Do Not Wait to Apply!  Set an appointment today. Bring as many documents as possible. If you do not have all your paperwork in order, you can gather it after the first interview.

  • Proof of Age (such as):
    • Birth certificate or
    • Baptismal certificate

  • Proof of Colorado Residency (such as):
    • Self-written statement testifying you are a resident of Colorado or
    • Any photo I.D. with your address or
    • A copy of your telephone bill

  • Proof of Resources (all of these):
    • Bank statements
    • Registration papers for motor vehicles
    • Deed and mortgages for real property
    • Life insurance policies
    • Burial funds or policies

  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship (such as):
    • Birth certificate or
    • Citizenship records or
    • Social Security card

  • Proof of Your Income and Your Spouse's Income (all of these):
    • Payroll stubs
    • Verification of Social Security and SSI
    • Proof of other income or checks you receive

All Old Age Pension recipients qualify for medical coverage which may include:

    • Inpatient hospital services
    • Outpatient hospital services
    • Home health care
    • Laboratory and X-ray services
    • Physician services
    • Pharmacy services
    • Medical transportation
    • Dental care (limited to surgical Procedures)
    • Medical supplies and durable medical equipment
    • Some Old Age Pension recipients may also qualify for nursing home care, home and community care, inpatient psychiatric care, Adult Foster Care, or a Home Care Allowance.


  • Food Stamp benefits

  • Financial assistance to reduce winter heating costs (LEAP)

  • Discount on monthly telephone bill
  • Health Care Policy and Financing

    The Department of Health Care Policy and Financing administers the Medicaid and Child Health Plan Plus programs as well as a variety of other programs for Colorado's low-income families, the elderly and persons with disabilities.

  • Health First Colorado (Colorado's Medicaid Program) Customer Service (800) 221-3943

  • Health First Colorado Enrollment (888) 367-6557 or (888) - ENROLLS
  • The home, a car, personal belongings, household goods, some burial policies, and some life insurance policies are Exempt. They are Not Counted  as part of your resources.

  • However, a Medicaid lien may be filed on property to be collected after death if over the age 55 or receiving LTC.

Old Age Pension (OAP) Reciepents must:

    • Be age 60 or older

    • Have total gross monthly income below approximately 80% of the poverty level per month (if you receive home care allowance, this amount may be higher.) Call your local county office for exact amount.

    • Income is anything which can be used to purchase food, clothing, or shelter. Some examples include wages, social security, pensions, child support, unemployment benefits, and spouse's income.

    • Have resources below $2,000, couple resources below $3,000

    • Resources are any money that remains unspent from a prior month. Some examples include cash, checking and savings accounts, stocks, bonds, some insurance policies and secondary property.

    • Be a U.S. Citizen or be Eligible Under Requirements for Aliens

    • Be a Resident of Colorado


Important Numbers - Assistance Programs

Department of Human Services
Main Line (970) 241-8480
Parent Help Line
(800) 244-5373 
Adult Protective Services
(970) 248-2888 
Welfare Fraud Hotline
(970) 256-2421
Area Agency on Aging
(970) 248-2717 
Western Colorado 211
2-1-1 or (970) 244-8400 
Assistance Programs - Fax Number
(970) 248-2849
Workforce Center
(970) 248-0871 
Child Support
(970) 248-2780
Veterans Office
(970) 248-2733